Friday, June 12, 2009

$Million #5

idea: Random news generator

If there is one thing I hate, its sensationalist journalism and more specifically sensationalist headlines. With that in mind, I recently read about this, which is a Python script that grabs excerpts from news articles online. So I thought "Why not take this another step and automate it?"

I'm imagining a website that shows you a random paragraph from a random news article on a random news website and you decide from that paragraph if you want to read the article or not. Simply tracking if the user clicks the link or not will tell you how interesting it is and then you can rank the top stories of the day based on the content alone. No titles, no fluff, just content. That could even be the tagline for the site! Nice.

You could even take this another step further and add a social networking aspect that lets you see what your friends are reading, save and share articles, customize your news sources, create RSS feeds, et cetera, et cetera.

All I need is a catchy site name and its golden! Who wants to make this for me?

No comments: